Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Rock and Roll Montreal, Canada






Montreal is finally here .. after months of training - early mornings, track workouts, long runs, all summer long in the hot and humid summer.  I couldn't be more excited to see if this would all pay off. I just wanted to break that 4 hour mark. The Portsmouth - Seacost Slackers headed up to Montreal on September 21.. was a nice ride. 

Saturday we went to the expo picked up our numbers ...

Official Marathon #


After the expo Mom, Katie and I headed out and did some exploring around Old Montreal ..
Having Lunch
Katie and I 


Pasta Dinner 
Ready to run ..


Then the day is finally here after months of training September 23, 2012! I woke up nice and early 4:30 am and had my usual pre-race meal oatmeal, banana, and peanut butter. The race wasn't till 8:30 but I wanted to have time to digest and get ready.. nerves were flowing and I didn't have the best sleep. We were meeting everyone in the hotel lobby at 6 to head to the metro and go over to the race area. I relaxed after I had my breakfast, got ready and called my mom and Katie and went down to their room and said a quick hello before meeting everyone in the lobby.


Seacost Slackers

Katie and I
Josh - Angela and I
My adrenaline was going I was so excited and just wanted to get there and race.. the marathon didn't start till 8 seemed like forever away. I can remember waiting around so anxious, thinking to myself I hope this all falls into place.. what if it doesn't. A million thoughts running through my mind...finally I was off


The race was pretty windy, I felt great the entire time.. I tried not to look at my garmin too much but it was so hard. I wanted to hit that goal. I couldn't believe how great I felt though out the race .. then mile 23 hit.. the WALL.. i hit that wall hard.. but I pushed through. I knew I would break 4.. it was only a 5k left come on Maggie you can do it, I kept telling myself. My slowest mile was 24, which is respectable.. I will take it. I picked it back up .. 
Sometime during the race ...

Smile.. I am going to do this ..


Few more steps and you will be done!
Needless to say I did it.. 3:52! I was so happy 38 minute PR..huge, I couldn't believe it. All that training paid off... I was beyond excited/drained. Emotions were running .. I looked around for my mom and Katie but I couldn't find them anywhere.. I was so happy they came and experienced this with me. My family is the best and to have them support me is the best ever.. it is completely amazing. I had taken on a part time job at the beginning of the summer as well at Athleta, and the girls that I worked with were also so supportive of my marathon training it just such a great environment to work in. I also couldn't be more thankful to my friend Jason who helped me a long in this marathon training.. with my crazy track workouts, early runs. 


New Hardware! 42.2 KM Completed!!

Angela completed her first marathon .. so happy for her!! 


Roxanne and I having a beer post marathon 


My goal is accomplished ...I will now take a week off to relax, recover and take all of this in. I am so beyond thrilled. I have so much that I want to do, and so much that I can do.. I have a few more half's and races planned for this year.. I will see how they go.. I am excited for the Baystate half, one of my very good friends Kim has been training so hard for this. I am so excited for her, I know she is going to do great.. and cross that finish line with a huge smile on her face and since of accomplishment! 












No comments:

Post a Comment